How do I make my front page a static page rather than a blog?

To make your front page a static page rather than a blog you need to create a static page that you would like as your front page. Then go into the Options tab and then click on the Reading subtab. Once you do this you will see the following:

Error creating thumbnail: sh: 1: /usr/bin/convert: not found
Click here for larger version

Instead of having the front page display your latest posts, select the radio button that says a "static page" and select the page you created for the front page. Additionally, you can create another page where you would like your blog posts to display. This is extremely useful when you would like to create a resource more akin to a traditional page rather than a blog, while maintaining the functionality of both.

Important: When using certain themes you may find that when you try this option you have two tabs in the header that both point to the front page. Depending on the theme this may cause you some concern in terms of the presentation. If you are having this problem, we recommend the following themes:

• Cutline:this theme automatically defaults to a front page tab making the site a perfect space for utilizing WordPress as a traditional web page.
  • MistyLook: in the MistyLook Options under the Presentation tab, you can hide pages from the header navigation. If you hide the page you created for the new front page, the blog will use the default home.
  • Mandigo: like MistyLook, under the presentation tab in Mandigo options you can hide pages from the header navigation. If you hide the page you created for the new front page, the blog will use the default home.